Monday, September 26, 2011

The Road Not Taken

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us." -Helen Keller

I feel as though I have been living on a one-way street that has come to a dead-end. For so long I have been struggling with the life I used to have versus my life now and have been unable to accept the fact that it is time to move forward and quit staring at the closed doors of my past. I can't change it and must accept the realization that it's called the past for a reason. I have always had a hard time being happy because I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop. My past is one thing I am certain of and the uncertainty of my future is something I have never been comfortable with.

There comes a point in every persons life where you have to accept that it's time to grow up and start living your life as an adult, rather than pretending it's all a dream and when you wake up tomorrow you will be back in high school or college without a care in the world. Life is changing and instead of being dragged through it, it's time for me to take the reins and face it head on.

Recently I came across some boxes of old letters from my junior and high school days. It was so refreshing to read some of the things I used to love and worry about back then. It also made me realize that I have become the person I am today because of who I was back then. I want to continue to grow as a person and if I keep looking and moving backwards it won't be possible.

I am so blessed and I only have this one life. I have to start living it and be more thankful instead of taking it for granted. I'm leaving the past where it belongs and keeping my eyes towards my future. My life has been pretty amazing up to this point so who knows what lies ahead on my journey. Time to get off this dead end road and get on the road to living.

No comments:

Post a Comment