Monday, August 15, 2011

Nightmare on Elm Street? How About Ginkgo Ave?

FEAR...we all have something that terrifies us and shakes us to our absolute core. For me, well that fear would be a small red-headed doll straight out of hell. Maybe you have heard of him? Does Chucky ring a bell? I don't know what it is about that damn doll, but he just scares me to death. Dolls that kill...it just doesn't seem right to me. This childhood fear has unfortunately followed me into adulthood. My fear was only reinforced in October of my sophomore year of high school when my friend Cody and I went to the haunted houses and I was chased down with a chainsaw by a life-size chucky. For me...permanent mental scar...for Cody...the realization that I shoved him down and left him for bait in order to escape. Who do I find partially responsible for this you ask? Well my parents of course. Does it seem natural to you that to this day, my parents will hide a chucky doll they have in cabinets at their house so when poor unsuspecting me goes to get a dinner plate the little nasty doll is sitting there. Or how about when they email and randomly text me pictures of chucky with a little knife taped to his hand about to stab my dad? No I'd say that is definitely not natural. As A child I can remember needing to see this dolls precise location in the closet prior to tucking myself in bed and waking up to check and make sure he was still located in the same position...smashed under anything I could find to hinder his movements while I slept.

I of course know the difference between reality and a movie...but sometimes the lines get blurred. Tell me that the following have never happened to you:

You are getting ready for bed you turn off the bathroom light start heading for your Bedroom and suddenly you find yourself running because you feel like someone is behind you?
You want to hang your foot off the edge of your bed but don't because you are afraid someone will grab it?
You run and jump to get into bed because you don't want something to grab your feet?
You want to pretend that your closet door being slightly cracked open doesn't bother you but you go close it all the way just to make sure someone isn't peeking at you?
You have to look behind the shower curtain just to make sure no one is there?

I definitely think that I have watched way too many scary movies in my day, but for some reason I can't get enough of them. I love to hate being scared. So i'll just keep my feet under the covers and the shower curtain pulled.

No comments:

Post a Comment